Montessori at Bay Farm
Bay Farm is affiliated with the American Montessori Society, and offers programs with the following characteristics of a Montessori school:
- Mixed-age classrooms, where children learn from one another and learn to respect those more and less competent than themselves.
- Toddlers (1-3 years)
- Children’s House (3 years-Kindergarten)
- Elementary I (Grades 1-3)
- Elementary II (Grades 4-6)
- Middle School (Grades 7-8)
- Carefully prepared environments, rich in Montessori and other educational materials
- Encouragement of independence and fostering healthy social development
- Hands-on learning
- Respect for the child
- Teachers who share a common philosophy and have training in the method and the materials
- A devotion to a curriculum that fosters peace and respect for diversity.
Culture and Curriculum: The culture and curriculum at Bay Farm spring from a strong Montessori foundation. Classroom teachers are trained in Montessori methods and materials, and assistant teachers and specialists attend workshops to become imbued with the philosophy and practices. Staying abreast of educational developments and research, Bay Farm’s programs incorporate concepts such as a peace curriculum, Multiple Intelligences and current research on brain development, all of which are logical extensions of the Montessori curriculum.
An Arts Focus: The degree to which the arts are fully integrated into the curriculum is a unique feature of Bay Farm. Each child experiences art, music and drama–at a developmentally appropriate level–with specialists who offer students avenues of expression and technical skills that go beyond what is possible in the traditional classroom. The school is alive with music, art and drama; a wide variety of performances punctuate the seasons and fill the classrooms and the Great Room with evidence that children are natural artists, musicians and performers. In the inimitable Montessori way, the respect shown each child, and the respect each child shows for the work of the others, permeate the school.